When Mostra d’Oltremare was built in 1940, it was decided to dedicate an area of about 10 hectares to a wildlife park. This project, by Luigi Piccinato, led to the building of Architectural pavilions for Pachyderms, Reptiles and a large aviary for birds. After the end of the II World War, the Zoological Garden of Naples was re-opened to the public in October 1949, thanks to its manager Franco Cuneo. It became internationally relevant for the significant achievements in the acclimatization of African Ungulates and reproduction of rare species, like the Black Rhino, the African Wild Dog and several Psittaciforms. Naples Zoo, together with Rome Zoo, represented the Italian community in international contexts and was one of the founding institutions of the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, which now acts as the official representative of the European Parliament as far as animals and their preservation.
The New Zoo of Naples has been operating since 2013. Many species of animals and plants can be admired there. Finally, it is also available as a beautiful, environmental location for private events.