Designed for the inauguration of 1940 by B.E. La Padula, it hosted the exhibition of the Bank of Italy. This pavilion is one of the best examples of rationalist architecture in Italy. Conceived as a pictorial framework for his monumental solemnity, he tended to establish a direct relationship with the end of the Tower basement, at that time with ornate plaster reliefs.
Hit by a bomb during the Second World War, the Pavilion America Latina was rebuilt in 1952 by architects M. Capobianco, A. Marsiglia and A. Sbriziolo, changing its physiognomy. The insertion of a porch by slender pillars, embedded in the building, led to a relationship of affinity with the restaurant and the pool. Interiors were made brighter and easier for hosting exhibitions. The construction of the so called “Padiglione Caboto” led to the continuity between the premises of the building and various elements of the northern front of the Main Square. It consists of 5 halls, with all the technical equipment necessary for the perfect performance of the events, having different sizes: from a minimum of 45 square meters to a maximum of 150 square meters for 9 meters in height.
Many cultural events were hosted in the Padiglione America Latina, such as: Villaggio della Danza, Julian Schnabel Paintings 1978-2003, Stazione Utopia, Annali dell’Architettura, comics exhibitions, Omaggio a Niemeyer, contemporary art performance during Forum delle Culture and also a laboratory of Circus games.
Padiglione America Latina will host the historical Archives of ENEL.